In April 1951, the Minister of Heavy Industry, based on Łabędy branch of the “Pokój” Steelworks and several other plants founded Zakłady Mechaniczne in Łabędy whose task was manufacturing of heavy track-laying vehicles – tanks, farm and artillery tractors, excavators and jib cranes. In 1956, the company took the name Zakłady Mechaniczne “Łabędy” in Gliwice. In 1974 Kombinat Urządzeń Mechanicznych “Bumar-Łabędy” was founded and was merged with branches from other locations and Ośrodek Badawczo-Rozwojowy Urządzeń Mechanicznych “OBRUM” in Gliwice. In the following years organization of this industrial group was many times restructured.
The basic production profile was manufacturing of tanks for the Polish Army and customers from abroad. In the years 1951-1956, the T-34 tanks were produced, in 1957 manufacturing of T-54 and T-54A tank type was launched, and in 1962 – T-55 and T-55A were produced. In the years 1982-1990 a middle size T-72 tank was produced and its further options: T-72M1, a T-72M1K command version and WZT-3 armoured repair and recovery vehicle, armoured engineer vehicles and mine clearing vehicles. At the beginning of the 1990’s production of modernised PT-91 tank was launched and at the beginning of this century its PT-91M and WZT-4 and PMC Leguan versions were produced for the armed forces of Malaysia.
At the end of 1980’s and at the beginning of 1990’s the Company survived a very difficult time caused by the slump in demand for military equipment and construction machines, and political and economic changes. On 1 July 1993 Kombinat was commercialised and restructured into a joint stock Company named Zakłady Mechaniczne “BUMAR-ŁABĘDY” S.A. in Gliwice.